Thursday, February 28, 2008

You gotta love computers

I love computers. They allow us to communicate with others like never before. They allow us to see how our business is doing with just a little effort. They provide us with the opportunity to really understand what's important in life, what's happening now or what you've worked on for the last 9 months. They do this when they crash!
I had a disc drive crash early this year. The day that I was going to finish my canine video. Got up in the morning, got ready to go into my office at home and work. I hit the keyboard, which usually brings the computer back to life in the morning, failed this time. The blue screen of death is what they call it in the windows world.
I spent the day, that I had scheduled to work on the canine video, running around to the computer repair people, I could care less about the computer I wanted the info on the drive.
I finally decided, late that night, to buy another computer, I could always return it if I needed to and external enclosure so I could pull the drive out of the old computer and continue to work. Unfortunately, what had crashed was not my computer but the drive. Windows has a problem that can corrupt the initial indentity block, this isn't what it's really called but I'm not writing a tech report, that tells drive where it's identity is! This renders the drive useless, actually less than useless since it will crash the computer, or not let it boot.
Now I'm really incensed and mad even. This is when my meditation training comes into perspective and I realize that there's nothing I can do unless there is. But either way it doesn't pay to worry about it, besides I have to see 6 human clients the next day and I'm booked for the rest of the week.
Thursday's I'm in my Longmont studio and luckily Adam Silver www.silverliningproductions.net, has his video and photography studio in the same building. Adam is an Apple guru. What does this have to do with my Windows disc drive? Alot! It turns out that the Apple operating system, so scoffed at by windows folks, doesn't need to see that first ID block on the disc to know what's on it, that's a windows thing. Adam is able to "see" all of my disc info and, that's a big and, get it to another drive for me.
To make an already long post shorter, we were able to get the video information, not the formatting which is another story, and recreate the video after three weeks of work. This puts not only the video but every other project I'm working on, behind by three weeks. This isn't to mention the problems we had with our replicators.
Moral to the story, back up to another drive frequently, you never know when a crash will occur. The bigger the drive the more you lose!
We hope to have proofs of the Canine Myofascial Massage/Release DVD next week. It's a 2 disc set due to the amount of information on it.
take care

No comments: