Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Where have the Innovators gone?

I've been on this tantrum about the lack of adaptation of human therapies to animals. For those of you who haven't been bored by this in the past, what I mean is that too often human therapies are applied to animals without thinking about how they may need to be changed/adapted to better work with the animal. For instance, massage therapists who are taught to keep their hands on the animal for the entire massage, similar to what occurs with human massage training, with no thought to how this affects the animal's nervous system.
There was a time when we had some pioneers in the animal world who were willing to "translate" their human therapeutic specialty to animals. For instance Linda Tellington-Jones, who pioneered the use of Feldenkreis techniques to the animal world, especially horses. Some would suggest that Jack Meagher did this with the work of Travell and Simmons and Trigger Point therapy, but I disagree that this was translated--it was simple copied over with some mistakes, like "rotator cuff"...
Recently I saw two examples of simply taking a human therapy's title and applying it to animals: Pilates for Horses, Yoga for dogs. The Pilates for horses is really troubling to me, since as a Rolfer I am concerned when someone who is not trained in Rolfing calls their work this. (It's an irrational response but one I acknowledge having.) This so called pilates therapy for horses consists of some simple stretches that are induced by using a treat--this is the only way my horses get any "finger" food, they have to work for it by stretching. (When I was first developping my equine series I videoed my horse before and after while inducing these "treat" stretches since they repeatable and the tissue response was evidently different.)
Calling these new interventions by a name associated with human therapy--pilates or yoga--is a misleading way of subsuming the reputation of the human therapy and suggesting that these animal "versions" have the same therapeutic benefit as the human one enjoys.
This use of a human therapies branding leads to a dumbing down of the therapy when it is applied to animals, which in turn leads to a dumbing down of the therapist who applys these therapies with humans. What I mean is that the animal therapist stops their critical thinking about how the animal views the world, moves through the world and is motivated. I read another article in which an equine massage therapist was qouted as saying that horses will, I'm paraphrasing hold emotional stress in their shoulders. just like humans in stressful jobs will. Huh? To me this kind of statement can only come from ignorance of the difference in how humans and horses view their environment.

No comments: