Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Becoming and Artist

Lately I've had a desire to learn how to draw. This comes about when I'm trying to do an animation or an illustration for a course or article. The problem I'm having is that I don't think I know how to draw and therefore have to acquire a new skill set or sets that will accumulate to my knowing how to draw.
My Rolfing studio in Longmont has white boards all over where I can draw, make notes to myself, illustrate a point to a client. I even painted 70 sf (that's 7 feet by 10 feet) of one wall with whiteboard paint so I can draw on it. I framed this area of the wall with Japanese style Shoji panels
so it looks like you're looking through to the wall. I can draw little things on the wall like a landscape and when I don't like it I just erase it. An ever changing picture.
I also project things onto this during classes--like a horse--and point out, by drawing on the image, places where I see something of interest.
The problem I've had though is that I still think that I need to acquire something to be able to be an artist. What I forget is that there's the art that seems to add to something, like drawing or painting, and that which removes or uncovers the art, like sculpting in marble.
It's this later type of art that we practice in our body therapy work. We look at our client and "see" that there are things--adhesions, holding patterns...--that if removed the art form of the body will change.
There's a poet who writes his poetry by blacking out the words in a newspaper that he doesn't need for the poem. This is what we do, in our work. Don't you think?

No comments: